Larry Mucklow's RAKK dac

 

Return to Gallery

January 22nd 2011 - Larry writes:

A couple of pictures to share of the Thorens TD -125 turntable that I rebuilt for my son Joe. Bubinga plinth, figured maple armboard and coco bolo feet. MMT arm with a Ortofon Blur cart and a Auditorium 23 mat.

 

 

 

 

May 26th 2012 - Larry writes:

I wanted a new pair of subwoofers to replace the DIY NHT 1259 subs that I had been using for a number of years. I called Kevin Carter and he suggested the Rythmik servo subs. After checking their website and others, there didn't seem to be any negative comments on their products so I bought the plate amps and 12" woofers and built a pair of sealed cabinets. I used the down-firing cabinet design on the Rythmik website as a starting point. Instead of using 3/4" MDF I used a ombination of 1/2" and 3/4" Baltic birch ply for the top and sides an two pieces of 3/4" for the bottom.  The internal bracing used 3/4" Baltic birch ply as well. The audio cabinet in the room is constructed of Bubinga with cherry panels so decided to go with the same theme for the subs. Panels are 1/4" cherry veneered ply, posts and trim pieces and the 3/4" top are bubinga. Internal surfaces in the cabinet are lined with rope caulk from Ace Hardware to help control resonance. The Ace house brand is much easier to work than what's available from Lowe's or Home Depot. Bottom of the posts are drilled and tapped to accept homebrewed 3/8" spikes. The Rythmik subs have only been in the system for several days but far surpass the performance of the NHT subs I had used previously. Fast response, very clean and does not overshadow the performance of the components for the other portions of the audio spectrum. A project well worth the effort and I thanked Kevin for his input for steering me to the Rythmik.

 

October 1, 2009 - Larry writes:

Thanks for posting the pictures of the MK II.  I originally  wanted perforated brass for the top and while I think the black looks good, the brass would pop  I'm going to do the brass but. my projects are on hold temporarily though. A fall from a ladder on Sept.19th resulted in a compound fracture of my left ankle. I am restricted to bed with my leg elevated. I have external fixaters supporting my ankle with surgery scheduled on 10/6 to pin and plate the bones, No weight on the ankle for three months and at least three months of therapy to follow. When I am able to sit at my workbench again, I am going to finish the soldering on the ST-70 with K&K driver. Board is done with the leadwire work yet to do. 

 

Chassis work is my own of course with bubinga as choice of woods. Output tubes will be reissue Tung-Sol 6550's. Top plate is aluminum and will be powder coated white with a textured surface. Picture included to give you an idea of what it will look like upon completion. Also including a picture of a Mission table finished just before the accident for the VPI 16.5. Wood is red oak.

September 27, 2009.

This is Larry's RAKK dac Mark II with an Active Output stage. The beautiful cabinetry is African mahogany.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is Larry's original RAKK dac with a passive output.

Larry Mucklow writes:

I finished my RAKK DAC before the summer took hold here in Tucson. The chassis is made from 7/8" Bubinga with 45 degree joints in the corners and where the top meets the sides. Biscuits are used to reinforce the joints. The inside is drilled and routed to countersink the male RCA's, power switch and chassis mount male IEC so they can flush mount on the outside of the chassis. The black dot on the rear panel is Gaboon Ebony. I use it as a calling card on my wood chassis'. The power supply is mounted on the left with three boards mounted on the right separated with nylon stand-offs. The Tent clock board is on the bottom, RAKK DAC board in the center and the passive output board is on top. Hook-up wire is fine silver. Power cord and interconnects are made with fine silver as well. Previous DAC was from Scott Nixon (Tube DAC) and the RAKK DAC is a major improvement across the board. Thanks go out to Kevin for his assistance during the planning stages for this project. Construction of the electronics went without any problems and was working flawlessly when powered up.

 

 

 

A couple of other projects I wanted to show you. DRD 300B
with 6CJ3 damper diodes and a 6AN4 driver. Chassis is Chechen, a Central
American hardwood. Second picture is an Ultrapath with a 5V4 rectifier and
Raytheon 6J5GT's. Chassis is Paduak and my son and I built this for his
system. To be so lucky at 23yrs old.